Having spent a couple of days looking at Animated Shorts provided food for thoughts. So let me throw out in no particular order what has been coming though my head.
First, this marathon search made me realize that my taste in Animation is very very narrow. I am not really interested in hand drawn or painted animation, even though some of it is very good. With very few exceptions, I don't like most CGI animation because it is too stylized, too smooth, and generally fairly "cartoonishly" stereotyped:
To create realism that way is obviously possible, but it is a huge collective task only feasible for an established studio. I certainly liked the amazing detail and textures in the snippets I have seen of "Mr. Hublot":
or "Little Tombstone":
or "Bibo":
But that is just not achievable for the little guy, and it consolidated my resolve not to bother to learn "real 3D software", and stick with After Effects. The beauty of the films I like is not about perfect 3D modeling, but about mood, textured stylization, originality of the images, and a certain surrealism:
Second, even though I like stop motion, I have enough experience with it to know it is an exceedingly tedious and time consuming endeavor, and I don't want to expend that much time a the moment. But that doesn't preclude using it for very short sequences blended with other techniques in AE.
Third, there are very few films mixing animation and live action, so that reenforces the idea of mixing green screen actors with virtual or projected sets. I would want to use heavy Topaz post processing to make the actors look very stylized and almost like puppets.
Fourth, I have seen enough airships already, we have to think up some unusual land vehicles instead, may be a special private train…
Fifth and foremost, we have to work within our very limited means and capabilities, yet stretch them as much as possible. I would like to work in a 3D space created in AE, mixing full 3D buildings(constructed of flat planes since AE doesn't allow continuous curved shapes) and 2D images layered in receding space like a diorama. The virtual camera would move around to keep up a sense of depth, but also go into close ups at times. That means this virtual set has to be much larger than the 1920x1080 I have worked with before, which may be a problem... The close ups would require additional secondary partial sets. I need to do actual some tests in AE.
First, this marathon search made me realize that my taste in Animation is very very narrow. I am not really interested in hand drawn or painted animation, even though some of it is very good. With very few exceptions, I don't like most CGI animation because it is too stylized, too smooth, and generally fairly "cartoonishly" stereotyped:
To create realism that way is obviously possible, but it is a huge collective task only feasible for an established studio. I certainly liked the amazing detail and textures in the snippets I have seen of "Mr. Hublot":
or "Little Tombstone":
or "Bibo":
But that is just not achievable for the little guy, and it consolidated my resolve not to bother to learn "real 3D software", and stick with After Effects. The beauty of the films I like is not about perfect 3D modeling, but about mood, textured stylization, originality of the images, and a certain surrealism:
Second, even though I like stop motion, I have enough experience with it to know it is an exceedingly tedious and time consuming endeavor, and I don't want to expend that much time a the moment. But that doesn't preclude using it for very short sequences blended with other techniques in AE.
Third, there are very few films mixing animation and live action, so that reenforces the idea of mixing green screen actors with virtual or projected sets. I would want to use heavy Topaz post processing to make the actors look very stylized and almost like puppets.
Fourth, I have seen enough airships already, we have to think up some unusual land vehicles instead, may be a special private train…
Fifth and foremost, we have to work within our very limited means and capabilities, yet stretch them as much as possible. I would like to work in a 3D space created in AE, mixing full 3D buildings(constructed of flat planes since AE doesn't allow continuous curved shapes) and 2D images layered in receding space like a diorama. The virtual camera would move around to keep up a sense of depth, but also go into close ups at times. That means this virtual set has to be much larger than the 1920x1080 I have worked with before, which may be a problem... The close ups would require additional secondary partial sets. I need to do actual some tests in AE.







No comments:
Post a Comment