Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Post 14: A few of my thoughts:

It seems that we are on the road to creating a mix of techniques that could become our own "look". It does deserve some testing to see what works together the best. In 'Tombstone" the characters were very 3D and clearly animated, but they had great texture and a lifelike feel. By shooting our actors on green screen and applying a topaz filter I think we can achieve a very similar illustrated appearance. The backgrounds in "Tombstone" often appeared very 2D in layers, which worked together fine with the 3D characters. So there we are.

Please don't rule out stop motion though because it will give us a way to animate real 3D objects when effective. I am happy to execute all the stop motion,  since I feel shooting is sort of my department anyway. Additional "real" video with topaz applied can also add some surrealism. Skies are the first thing that come to mind because I already have seen it used, but other elements can be shot as well for layering, like surfaces, water, smoke, blowing trees, and really anything else that visually works for the environment.


You are right about creating everything much larger than 1920x1080. The bigger the original artwork, the more options we have to make the camera move. Foreseeing all of this can really only be done by storyboarding the script and creating a detailed shotlist.


I really enjoyed the world created in "Monsieur Cok" Very imaginative and bizarre, with a great soundtrack - it is an inspiring piece.


So lets brainstorm on doing a simple test while Sam is cooking up the story. We can shoot an actor on green screen, layer him in with some 2D backgrounds/elements in a 3D space, play with topaz, and do a camera move.

Randal

No comments:

Post a Comment