I always like the idea of the "den/lab" of our strange "mad scientist/inventor" being in an old abandoned church with decaying frescoed walls and a vaulted ceiling.
Seeing Terry Gilliam's "Zero Theorem" a couple of months ago confirmed my choice, and oriented my search for images and textures. The high vaults and the large cross shaped space will allow interesting camera moves, and can provide very dramatic images, and wonderful multicolored abstract backgrounds for close ups.
Since I am working in After Effects, and am limited to single curves, the shapes have to remain simple.
I will use the basic cross shape:
I cannot make a spherical dome over the crossing, but can fit in an octagonal tower with a dome in eight single curved sections:
I decided to build a large test church just to see how it worked, and how AE handled the rendering on my faster solid state machine. That will also allow me to try different colors and textures. I started with a 6000 x 10,000 pixels canvas, which I had to eventually enlarge to 8000 x 10,000. THAT IS BIG!
I placed wide angle virtual cameras at the four end of the cross to see what I was doing in space.
I built the walls in Phoshop mixing textures, frieses, fresco fragments, paintings, and architectural details, imported them in AE, and put them in place.
I used Ray Tracing to vault the ceilings and adjusted them to fit the width of the nave and the narrower transept:
A view down the nave from the Altar:
A view of the Transept toward the right:
A View of the Transept toward the left:
A bird's eye view from the dome:
A view from the floor looking up to the dome:
A view of down the Altar from the nave vault:
A view down the Transept from floor level:
Seeing Terry Gilliam's "Zero Theorem" a couple of months ago confirmed my choice, and oriented my search for images and textures. The high vaults and the large cross shaped space will allow interesting camera moves, and can provide very dramatic images, and wonderful multicolored abstract backgrounds for close ups.
Since I am working in After Effects, and am limited to single curves, the shapes have to remain simple.
I will use the basic cross shape:
I cannot make a spherical dome over the crossing, but can fit in an octagonal tower with a dome in eight single curved sections:
I placed wide angle virtual cameras at the four end of the cross to see what I was doing in space.
I built the walls in Phoshop mixing textures, frieses, fresco fragments, paintings, and architectural details, imported them in AE, and put them in place.
I used Ray Tracing to vault the ceilings and adjusted them to fit the width of the nave and the narrower transept:
Here are various camera views of the space:
A view down the nave from the door looking at the altar:
A view of the Transept toward the right:
A View of the Transept toward the left:
A bird's eye view from the dome:
A view from the floor looking up to the dome:
A view of down the Altar from the nave vault:
A view down the Transept from floor level:










No comments:
Post a Comment