Friday, October 10, 2014

Post 29: A 3D Airship Control Room Test

    The 2D Test Control Room I built a couple of weeks ago was not very big, and my original intention was to rebuild a larger one in 3D in order to be able to retain detail while doing close ups with the virtual camera. However, the rendering problems I encountered with the 3D oversize Spaceship in After Effects, which led to the $3000 computer upgrade, made me decide to pursue the test for a while and build a basic smaller 3D Control Room using the smaller elements already on hand. I just used basic flat panels following the shape of the hull at the front of the Airship and placed several flat figures in the 3D space:

   I am concerned with the position of the feet of the  live characters. They have to be on the same horizontal line, as anything below floor level(the green line) is cut off. The problem is particularly acute with the two characters fighting, and it will be much more noticeable with lights and shadows turned on:



  It may be best to avoid as much as possible shots showing the feet.
  I then played with a virtual camera doing a 60 degrees pan. I had to angle the flat figures about 20 degrees left and right to keep the perspective looking realistic:


  I rendered a 60 degrees pan left to right:


 and a dolly in going between two forward figures getting about as close up as possible to "The Leader" while retaining reasonable definition:



 Matching virtual and real camera moves is going to be difficult, and may not be necessary. We are not a Hollywood studio, and there is no way we can create a fully realistic mix of real and virtual, but I don't mind at all having a slightly cartoonish look, almost like an animated comic strip. The whole thing is fantasy anyway, and we have to somehow take advantage of our limitations to create a unique look.

No comments:

Post a Comment