Well, I finally got all my hardware in today, and quickly got everything installed in the machine. Replacing the two bulky Radeon graphic cards by the single Nvidia K5000 allowed me not only to plug back in my old BlackMagic Intensity card (I had to remove it to fit the two Radeon when I went with 4 monitors), giving me back HDMI in and out. It also gave me access to my third PCI slot, and I immediately ordered a two ports eSATA Card, and an eSATA 4 bay enclosure to use the four 1TB hard drives I just took out of the MacPro as quick access storage.
I made my four new 480GB SSD's into a Hardware Raid 0 Array, and installed Mountain Lion on it.
I had a bit of a hard time finding the right CUDA Driver for the new graphic card, and getting the different preferences set properly, but finally got it done.
I was going to use the SSD in the optical bay as the Cache for After Effects, but for some reason I do not understand, it does not appear in the choices.
Early tests show the machine is definitely much faster, but I really expected more and am at the moment somewhat disappointed. I need to figure out the bottleneck.
The Blackmagic Speed test shows Write speed about triple and Read Speed almost 4 times that of the old machine with two hard drives in a RAID 0:
But it's barely twice what I was getting with the first single SSD in the optical bay. I was expecting a Raid 0 of 4 SSD's to give me close to 1000.
I guess the CUDA acceleration doesn't show on the tests.
I made my four new 480GB SSD's into a Hardware Raid 0 Array, and installed Mountain Lion on it.
I had a bit of a hard time finding the right CUDA Driver for the new graphic card, and getting the different preferences set properly, but finally got it done.
I was going to use the SSD in the optical bay as the Cache for After Effects, but for some reason I do not understand, it does not appear in the choices.
Early tests show the machine is definitely much faster, but I really expected more and am at the moment somewhat disappointed. I need to figure out the bottleneck.
The Blackmagic Speed test shows Write speed about triple and Read Speed almost 4 times that of the old machine with two hard drives in a RAID 0:
But it's barely twice what I was getting with the first single SSD in the optical bay. I was expecting a Raid 0 of 4 SSD's to give me close to 1000.
I guess the CUDA acceleration doesn't show on the tests.

No comments:
Post a Comment