Ideally, in order to be able to pan, do wide shots, dolly in and out, track, and zoom in, my 3D Cityscape where the Airship is going to fly needs to be VERY BIG. The airship itself needs to be very big and in full 3D too, so I can do close shots of the protagonists on the deck. We are going to be shooting with a full HD 1080p virtual camera within that 3D space.
I didn't know just how much I could push my maxed out mid 2010 Mac Pro, so I designed everything in a 10,000 pixels x 5000 pixels. That's BIG compared to the 1920 x 1080 stage I used for the Light Dreams Architectural Projection. The ship itself is 10,000 pixels long:
Furthermore, as explained in a previous post, I attempted creating brass cylinders by stacking 1000 rings 3 pixels wide.
All went well for a while, but then I started turning on shadows, and things slowed down to a crawl… I checked my Raid 0 two disks array speed with Blackmagic Speedtest, and get 140 MB/s write and 120MB/s read.
I have to do much better, and have been searching for a way to speed things up, other than buying a new $12,000 Mac Pro... As a first step, I ordered an OWC Mercury Electra 480GB SSD, which by the way is on sale right now for only $219(I paid $279 a few days ago!), and a multi mount to install it in one of the optical bays I am not using anyway.
I will make it my boot drive, and see how much faster that makes the machine. I am expecting around 250MB/s, and really already know it won't be fast enough, so I am looking for a better way. I am thinking of replacing my 4 internal hard drives by the same OWC SSD's, and doing a raid 0 over the 4 SSD's. That might get me up to 900MB's for about $950...
My 2010 Mac Pro only has 3G SATA 2 connections. But I just found this article that explains how to change them to 6G SATA 3, which would allow me to use 6G SSD's instead of the 3G's. According to the article, that could bring the speed up to 1600MB's… But they are almost twice as expensive, and it would require replacing my Raid card, and total up about $1400:
An important bonus is that the new raid card has an external mini SAS 6G port, which could connect to one of these enclosures, where I could use the 4 original 1TB drives from the MacPro.
I didn't know just how much I could push my maxed out mid 2010 Mac Pro, so I designed everything in a 10,000 pixels x 5000 pixels. That's BIG compared to the 1920 x 1080 stage I used for the Light Dreams Architectural Projection. The ship itself is 10,000 pixels long:
Furthermore, as explained in a previous post, I attempted creating brass cylinders by stacking 1000 rings 3 pixels wide.
All went well for a while, but then I started turning on shadows, and things slowed down to a crawl… I checked my Raid 0 two disks array speed with Blackmagic Speedtest, and get 140 MB/s write and 120MB/s read.
I have to do much better, and have been searching for a way to speed things up, other than buying a new $12,000 Mac Pro... As a first step, I ordered an OWC Mercury Electra 480GB SSD, which by the way is on sale right now for only $219(I paid $279 a few days ago!), and a multi mount to install it in one of the optical bays I am not using anyway.
I will make it my boot drive, and see how much faster that makes the machine. I am expecting around 250MB/s, and really already know it won't be fast enough, so I am looking for a better way. I am thinking of replacing my 4 internal hard drives by the same OWC SSD's, and doing a raid 0 over the 4 SSD's. That might get me up to 900MB's for about $950...
My 2010 Mac Pro only has 3G SATA 2 connections. But I just found this article that explains how to change them to 6G SATA 3, which would allow me to use 6G SSD's instead of the 3G's. According to the article, that could bring the speed up to 1600MB's… But they are almost twice as expensive, and it would require replacing my Raid card, and total up about $1400:
An important bonus is that the new raid card has an external mini SAS 6G port, which could connect to one of these enclosures, where I could use the 4 original 1TB drives from the MacPro.

No comments:
Post a Comment