Now that I have a basic layout, I need to start thinking about replacing the pictures of Architural Details by full 3D constructions. I will start with the portal, using this image as a departure point:
I cut it up in simplified sections(base portal, columns, column bases, cornices), and made up those parts that couldn't be seen(column sides, horizontal planes, portal sides, etc...). I made properly shaped textures to bend with Ray Tracing into cylindrical parts for the moldings:
I built the basic Portal first, then started the more complicated task of building the 3D base for the columns:
First, I made the series of moldings and made it a Precomp in AE:
Then I rotated it 90 degrees left and right and fitted the three together, added the rectangular base and the flat horizontal surfaces to get this 3DPrecomp:
Finally, I placed it in the Portal Precomp, duplicated it, and fit it at the foot of each column:
It looks pretty good, now I have to build the cornice. I think I will remove the middle cornice that makes the image a bit too busy.
What I am wondering is, since I am going to reuse a lot of the Precomps a number of times, is there a way to make them "instances", so After Effects only has to render them once? I will use this Portal as Altars at the ends of the Transept and as upper part of the Main Altar. Many other Architectural details will be repeated throughout the "church"(cornices, pediments, niches, frames, columns, etc...), so it could save a considerable amount of processing power, and speed up rendering, which even with my fast machine, is painfully slow in this huge 10,000 x 8000 x 8000 pixels 3D space.







No comments:
Post a Comment