Saturday, October 5, 2013

Post 4: What Kind of Set ?

  I actually don't have a specific story right now. I will have to see what I can do with the limited movements of the puppets, and the props I already have... I have been wanting to do something Steampunk for a while, and the structure of the set being steel, it could be sandblasted, etched with acid washes and rusted nicely. 
   I collected a bunch of steampunk pictures of control rooms and such for visual inspiration. I would like to make it some kind of mad scientist lab:


   or an old control room for a submarine, a ship, like the Queen Mary's deck":



 or the control room of a spaceship or a nuclear plant: 



as well as this Steampunk creation with clocks and astrolabes :



 LED's and LED picture frames could be used:



  I will cut out a couple of 6"x 12" doors in the walls, and mount them back with big rusted hinges attached with bolts or rivets. Steels strips of different width can be also riveted or bolted on both vertically and horizontally to break up the surface of the walls, like in a ship.
  Steel columns could be used also, either square or round. Portholes could be applied to the wall with a chroma green inset so video of water, skies or landscape can be added later in After Effects:



  I see a console with pipes, levers, wheels, gauges:



switches, meters, oscilloscopes, control lights, chroma green "computer screens", speaker horns, a swivel stool for my one puppet that can sit... 
  I see wiring running up and down the walls, as well as pipes, cooling coils, electrical bobbins, Caution and Danger signs, faded yellow and red stripes, similar to the prop I used in "Yellow Mama":

    I see steel trusses supporting the ceiling with zig zag bracing:



 The columns could be the same style. A corrugated roof with skylights could be laid on for up shots.
   I am thinking of Captain Nemo and the state rooms of the Nautilus, and of the organ he played:



 The small keyboard could possibly be built into the control console, and I could use the one I already made for close ups:


No comments:

Post a Comment