Saturday, August 15, 2015

Post 44: Long time no Post, but working on Designing the "Neighborhood" Set

    I can't believe it has been so long since I posted on this project. Vacation in France, other projects, and I have probably not been doing so much work on this one to have a lot to post. I have still spent a great deal of time working on a new test set,for the "Neighborhood". But it is extremely time consuming, and I have for months been collecting Architectural Parts, Facades, Street Parts. 
    I photographed Doorways, Church Interiors and Architectural Details all over Sicily in April. I scour the Internet for images. The problem is that there are very few images out there that are shot straight on and perspective corrected. There are usually cars, wires, all kinds of undesirable junk in front of buildings, so images have to be cleaned up, parts cloned, perspective corrected. Fortunately, due to the increases in connection speed and in definition of digital cameras, and of the prevalence of HD monitors, it is getting much easier to get high resolution images.
   However, bird's eye views of streets and roofs are still extremely difficult to come by, to the point I am considering getting a drone to shoot some. I even bought a small one to practice. It ended up at Randy's, and we hope to get a bigger one, once he masters it...Great progress has been made in the stability of drones, and some now have programable GPS capabilities, and the ability to hover a defined area automatically.
   There is still a long way to go to build a few blocks of the"Neighborhood, but the early tests show it is just a matter of patience, research, and work, work, work putting the puzzle together in 3D in After Effects.
   I have been working on a block, and here is what it looks like so far:







  Depending on the position and movement of the camera, some elements can remain flat 2D images and still look realistic. So the plan is to build the basic "Neighborhood" buildings in 3D, and add needed details, functionality and backgrounds later depending on the shot. 

  For example, if a scene requires a character to walk into a building, the door would be made functional, and the interior space designed for that particular room.
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment